Who joins a club like this?
Are you a rock hound? If you are the kind of person that cannot walk
through a field without picking up an interesting rock; if you love the
beauty of gems and polished stones or have
a collection of minerals, this club is the right place for you. Perhaps
you are a student of Geology, fascinated with the processes that shape
the Earth. This club is the right place for you too!
This is a club for everyone; some of our members are collectors, some
are accomplished Lapidary artists that cut and polish stones for
jewelry, and some are silversmiths or wire wrappers that set finished
stones in a setting of their own design. We even have members that come
just to be with a family member. This club is truly a unique place to belong in that in spite of any differences we may have in opinion about one thing or another, we are able to come together and share our passion for rock-hounding and all things that encompass the study of the Earth Sciences.
December newsletter / website quiz
Do you love to learn and share your knowledge?
The Lubbock Gem and Mineral Society was formed in 1958 by a group of rock hounds that wanted to encourage the study of rocks, minerals, fossils, and other geological materials, and by meeting with others with the same interests, learn more themselves. Come to a meeting and see what we can accomplish together in a member driven sharing experience!
The purpose of this Society shall be:
- To bring about a closer association of those persons interested in the earth sciences and lapidary arts.
- To increase, document and disseminate knowledge about geological materials including rocks, minerals, gems, fossils, historic and modern cultural lithic artifacts.
- To encourage the study, collecting and display of rocks, minerals, gems, fossils, artifacts, and the performance of lapidary and jewelry arts.
- To provide guidance, education and information; share ideas and techniques; and assist in the development and refinement of skills through the combined resources, knowledge and experience of the Society’s Members.
- To conduct appropriate meetings and field trips.
- To sponsor public shows, displays and educational programs.
- To publish a Society Newsletter each month.
- The LGMS is a 501(c)3 Educational Organization.
The LGMS meets at 3007 33rd Street, Lubbock Texas on the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm. Membership is open to all interested parties. Visitors are always welcome!